Here are resources that explain, or are helpful in understanding and diagnosing digestive problems brought on by celiac disease and intolerance to msg (or free glutamates in foods). I have celiac disease, and react very badly to monosodium glutamate, in all its various chemical forms. I also have difficulty digesting dairy products (this is due to the casein in cows milk).
Celiac Disease Resources
Learn about the Glutamate Asparate Free Diet (Asparate, meaning Aspartame, which works on the nervous system in the same way that msg and other glutamates do) at the G.A.R.D Homepage.
Celiac Disease articles:
1. Meize-Grochowski, R. 2005. "Celiac disease: a multisystem autoimmune disorder." Gastroenterology Nursing 28, no. 5: 394-404. CINAHL with Full Text, EBSCOhost (accessed March 5, 2009).
Provides a very good review of the disease.
Monosodium Glutamate Resources
The basics of Monosodium Glutamate, health, and your diet: MSG Basics
Hidden sources of MSG: MSG Source List from Truthinlabeling.org.
Another MSG Hidden Sources List from msgmyth.com.
MSG related articles:
1. Asero, Riccardo, and Gianna Bottazzi. 2007. "Chronic Rhinitis with Nasal Polyposis Associated with Sodium Glutamate Intolerance." International Archives of Allergy & Immunology 144, no. 2: 159-161. Academic Search Premier, EBSCOhost (accessed March 5, 2009).
Shows how sodium glutamate affected the health of one woman by causing chronic
rhinitis that was untreatable with atihistamines and cortesoid medications.
2. Yeda Sant’ Diniz, Luciane A. Faine, Cristiano M. Galhardi, et al. "Monosodium glutamate in standard and high-fiber diets: metabolic syndrome and oxidative stress in rats."
Nutrition, Volume 21, Issue 6, June 2005, Pages 749-755. Cinahl with full text (accessed March 5, 2009).
Shows how MSG in the diet resulted in higher caloric intact, which then resulted in
obesity related diseases.
3. Ault, Addison. 2004. "The Monosodium Glutamate Story: The Commercial Production of MSG and Other Amino Acids." Journal of Chemical Education 81, no. 3: 347-355. Academic Search Premier, EBSCOhost (accessed March 5, 2009).
Gives the basics on the chemical composition of MSG, as well as how this chemical is produced. Includes history of the chemical.
4. Nakanishi, Yuko et al. "Monosodium glutamate (MSG): A villain and promoter of liver inflammation and dysplasia." Journal of Autoimmunity 30, no. 1/2 (February 2008): 42-50. Academic Search Premier, EBSCOhost (accessed March 5, 2009).
Talks about how MSG causes inflammation, and then ties this into various diseases such as obesity and liver disease.
5. Schwartz, George, and Kathleen Schwartz. 1990. "MSG: The ‘toxic spill’ in food and the saga of a crusade to identify a hazardous food additive…" Nutrition Health Review: The Consumer's Medical Journal , no. 54: 13. Academic Search Premier, EBSCOhost (accessed March 5, 2009).
Just read this one! Very, very good information.
GF Pizza Crust Recipes (and maybe other GF recipes as well)
on iPhone, iPad, AppleTV, PC. It's free.